The staff at Hollywood Hill has been working on Social Emotional Learning (SEL) along with our PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports) with all students. The Competencies for SEL are Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Social Awareness, Relationship Skills and Responsible Decision-Making. The curriculum that we use is called Second Step. What’s nice about it is that it assumes that all students can learn the skills needed to be a productive and kind citizen. It is designed to be used like this:
- The teacher explains a concept with words, pictures, video, and/or audio
- Students practice the concept through skill practice, group discussion, individual writing, or partner work
- The teacher continues reinforcing the concept throughout the week
- The teacher sends information home for students to work on with parents
- The teacher checks for understanding
- The teacher re-teaches where necessary
In teaching these lessons, we have identified some areas where students struggle and we are putting together lesson plans and opportunities to improve in those areas as well. One area that we have noticed some additional teaching is needed is in the area of Self Awareness and Self-Management. Many of our teachers are making time to teach the Zones of Regulation curriculum in class to help students in those areas.
You can help by talking with your child about their emotions and things they do when they are experiencing BIG emotions.
There are a lot of great resources where you can learn more:
With all of this instruction and learning, our hope is that every student feels supported and encouraged to be the best student they can be!